Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Our Weekend

What a weekend. Grab a cuppa, this is a very long post. Boring maybe, yawn!!! But it is for my reference when I go to scrap it!!!

We started our day early packing our things and then all pilling into the car. It was about 3.5hrs to Avalon Airport where we dropped Nanna off for her flight back to Sydney. After taking Nanna in, we were all starving and headed for the nearest Macca’s. Tummies full, we went into Geelong for a drive around, to have a quick look. It was almost time for the AFL grand final to start so Dad was eager to find where we were staying and a TV set, to plant himself in front of. We stayed at Aberdeen Motor Inn in Geelong. We had a family room, which was well priced. Micaela and I left everyone behind watching the footy final and we headed for the shops. Geelong made the final and most of the town had shut up shop and gone to watch the final. The whole town was decorated in Blue and White. Streamers and balloons hung from almost every house and every shop was decorated with “Go Cats”. They aren’t called football mad Victorians for no reason. We didn’t have to be worried about missing the final, wherever we went there was a TV set on or a radio. We were kept up to date, while shopping. Kayla had fun in Supre, spending up. I managed to get Zac some much needed clothes. We headed back to everyone. We watched Geelong win the Grand final by 119 points. Which was the biggest win in grand final history. Everyone was hungry so we went in search of some dinner. There were mad Geelong supporters everywhere. Flags and scarves where flying from every car window. There were people in the streets. Dad got into the spirit (with lots of back seat encouragement) beeping the horn and cheering. The cheer of “more, more, more” was deafening. Everyone forgot their hunger and enjoyed the moment. You all wanted to keep driving around watching the mad, crazy Geelong supporters. We ended up going through the drive through at KFC and eating while driving. It’s so funny you kids are easily entertained. You didn’t want to go back to where we were staying. You wanted to keep driving. The fans around Skilled Stadium were really going off and not allowing cars to pass unless you were honking your horn and cheering. It was crazy! But it was so much fun. Finally with lots of protest we headed back. Everyone enjoyed watching “Racing Strips” on telly before all going to sleep. It was surprisingly quite with only the occasional horn honking to be heard during the night


Once one, was awake we were all awake. After getting dressed we went the Macca’s for breakfast. Jarred was really excited as we never have brekkie out. We then headed to Werribee Open Plains Zoo. We enjoyed a 45-minute bus tour around the Zoo looking at all the animals. After our tour we headed off, on foot to the monkey enclosure in time for the ranger talk. Then it was onto the Lion enclosure for another talk. Jarred was so fascinated with these gorgeous creatures. They were all very lazy, lying on the grass. Off to see the hippo’s. The girls walked through the hippo walk. The kids all got a chocolate hippo and puzzle board from the keepers. Jarred and Kloe had lots of fun playing on the hippo play area. Chris got a bit of a fright when he put his hand inside the hippo skull and it started making noise. We then went to see the cheetahs. Then it was off to the Volcanic Plain Walk to see the birds, emus and kangaroos. We had a quick look at the souvenir shop and then headed back to the car.
Jarred’s Favourite – lions, Kloe – all of the animals, Zac and Dad – the Rhino, Kayla and Mum –Giraffe and Zebra's

We went into Werribee to get a late lunch. We went back to Geelong, driving along the foreshore. We parked the car and looked at the wooden people. Jarred and Kloe discovered the Carousel. The carousel is over a hundred years old and is housed in a huge glasshouse. Dad had to ride with Jarred. Your faces were beaming. You loved every minute of it. Dad got a bit dizzy!!! We went for a walk down the Cunningham Pier. We didn’t get far before the howling wind and rain made us find shelter. By this time we were all a bit tired and decided to head back. The boys went back out to Rebel to pick up some Cricket supplies while Kayla, Jarred, Kloe and I enjoyed a lazy afternoon with the telly on and a magazine. Kloe and Jarred amused themselves with the small boxes of breakfast cereal. They used them as blocks and were making castles with them. Footy grand final time again. NRL this time, Manly V’s Melbourne Storm. Dinner is biscuits, dip, cheese, salami and cheese in front of the telly watching the final. The Storm won the grand final, which we were all happy about, seeing we are all Victorians now.


It was a bit of a late start. We had planned on being on the road by 8am. We all managed to drag ourselves out of bed at 8am. Even Mr Early bird, awake at 6am (Jarred) was snoozing. Brekkie was a much healthier cereal, fruit and yoghurt. We finally found a supermarket. We drove around Geelong for the past few days, without being able to find a supermarket, it was really strange. I ended up picking a few things up in Werribee) On the road again!!! Chris decided it would be good for us to take the scenic route home and go home the long way, via the Great Ocean Road. We had only gone about 10 minutes down the road before Jarred wanted to know if we were home yet?? We stopped at Bell’s Beach. It was cold and blowing a gale, but there were people still surfing. After getting back in the car Jarred started to say his tummy was sore. Biscuit box and a plastic bag was made ready just incase. The road became really tight and twisty. Then the signs Micaela, Jarred and I all hate, the ones that say Next 60kms twisty!!!!! Poor Jarred was sick three times along the way. He wanted to stop driving and go home. We were trying to tell him we had to drive to get home. We travelled over 200kms of twisty turny road. The scenery was gorgeous. We stopped at the twelve apostles. It was cold and it was so windy. We were almost blown away. I kept telling everyone to hold onto Kloe, I was scared she was going to be blown away. The twelve apostles was somewhere Chris and I have always wanted to go. Another thing ticked off the list. And the Great Ocean Road will be one of those……. been there done that roads, that I never want to go on again. Chris and Zac plan to travel it again, Chris thinks in an MX5. The boys have iron guts!!! We had lunch at Port Campbell before getting back in the car and heading home. We had a fantastic weekend with lots of fun and good quality time together.

Bell's Beach

The Twelve Apostles

1 comment:

Brian Bailey said...

Sounds likeyou had a great weekend.